“Readers will always insist on adventures, and though you can have grief without adventures, you cannot have adventures without grief.”
– Catherynne M. Valente
It all started with a mouse. Rather the mouse was the destination, or perhaps he was in the middle? It doesn't matter. The point is that there was a mouse who looked like a man and talked like a man and who loved Cerise and she loved him back. Then he disappeared and left her behind with just enough information to get herself in trouble and not enough to actually be of much use at all.
Despite it all, Cerise decided that mice don't just run away for no reason. If he left on his own, then something was wrong and she should find him and figure out what, and if he was taken again, then she should find him and figure out how to free him.
- Resident - Cerise settled in the area about two years ago, and has lived here ever since.
- Changeling - Cerise is newly returned from the hedge.
- Blind - Several months ago, Cerise's car was driven off the highway. Apparently, the accident damaged her eyes, leaving her blind.
- Amnesia - The accident also left holes in Cerise's memory. There's a lot she doesn't remember from before it happened.
- Homepage Books - Cerise used to work here, though she doesn't now, for obvious reasons.
- Cat-22 - Another job that she used to have.
- Fortune Teller - Unable to hold down her other jobs, Cerise has begun reading fortunes under the table for extra cash.
- Boston Society - Cerise's family is an old one in Boston society circles and have a good deal of money, although Cerise is currently estranged from them.
- Research Facility Scandal - Cerise was caught up in a scandal involving a research facility in Boston several years back. Its possible some may remember the incident.
- Mainer - Cerise has been all over New England, but perhaps most important to her life outcomes is the couple of years she spent in the small town of Aleswich, Maine. People from that state may know/recognize her.
- Kip: Delightfully Awkward Boss
- C.B.: Overly Grumpy Boss
- Franklyn: The Rival, ie Out to Get Me
- Dross:The Artist