“Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive.”
– Bugs Bunny
About eight years ago, Samuel Argyle Long was just your average college student. He wasn't the best academically, but he was a breakout star on U Vermont's track and field team, and he wasn't in danger of flunking out, at least. Life was good.
Then, unexpectedly, he dropped out and moved back to his hometown of Fort Brunsett, where he now works as a construction worker. Or so most people think, anyway. In truth, something bad happened to Sam, and the man wearing his face nowadays isn't the real Sam at all. The real Sam now calls himself Briar Jameson, and he's barely recognizable as the man he once was.
Briar Jameson didn't drop out of college. He was Taken, stolen away to Arcadia and put through his own personal Hell in a nightmare forest filled with predators. When he finally made his escape, there was barely anything human left in him. It was buried too deep, under miles and miles of animal terror that he didn't know how to control. If it weren't for the Blackbird Bishopric, he would have died alone and terrified in an alley somewhere, more hare than man.
But he didn't. And when the Bishops had finished putting him back together, he realized that he couldn't think of any cause more worthy of dedicating his life to than theirs.
– The Big Lebowski
So he did.
After subduing the animal terror that was so strong in him upon his initial escape from the Hedge, Briar swore himself to the Bishopric of Blackbirds. Now Briar the Wandering Bishop has garnered something of a reputation as one of the Bishopric's most steady and dependable operatives in the state. He travels from freehold to freehold, searching for anyone in need of a Bishop's attention - and there are always at least a few - and helping them to heal before setting out again. During his wanderings, he's faced down violently deranged Lost, pulled recent escapees from the jaws of voracious briarwolves, and even taken part in a few daring raids on Privateer holdings to rescue the captives there and ensure their health afterwards.
Now, after more than seven years, he's finally arrived in Fort Brunsett. With both his Fetch and his parents still in town, it's anyone's guess what happens next, but he seems content to take things slowly. His primary concern seems to be putting out feelers in the local freehold, searching for anyone in need of a Bishop's assistance.
After all, there's always someone who needs a Blackbird.
- Changeling - He's quite Lost, though not quite as lost as some others.
- Courtless - He's never quite found a Court that fits. Care to proselytize?
- Bishopric of Blackbirds - Everybody needs a Blackbird eventually.
- Fame 2 (Wandering Bishop) - He's rescued and rehabilitated changelings all across the state.
- Yoga Instructor - Great way to get yourself relaxed.
- Personal Trainer - He's been known to work as one of these occasionally.
- Running - He's fast, he doesn't get tired, and he's doing this a lot. Maybe he's passed you during your morning jog.
- Music - He plays bass. Care to groove?
- Haruki and Itsuki - Nice guys. I had no idea you could even train rabbits.
- Widget - My first real patient in the freehold. A definite hugger.