Where the Wild Roses Grow
The Wild Roses have grown for as long as anyone can remember. Well, for as long as any Lost can remember. The market has been serving the local Lost community for generations, and in all its existence, has never proven a major issue for the Lost of Tamarack Falls. Of course, it is located on the East Bank trod. Getting to the market and leaving is always a risk. But once inside, so long as the rules are followed, safety is nearly assured. At least, safety from briarwolves. More than a few traders have came through and lost something far more precious than the skin off their back.
The Market is run by a single family of hobs, though not all of the family is related by blood. Some married in, some were ‘adopted’ in. There is fierce loyalty within the family, and they’re intensely protective of each other and their family’s interests. They’re also highly protective of their status as the ONLY decently sized permanent Market. They will deliberately and with great prejudice go out of their way to sabotage any other markets which try to pop up.
There is a Market truce in place, where those entering agree to abide by all Market Laws and to not attack anyone, whether friend or foe. To this end, all weapons must be tied with a white ribbon, string or something similar, as a symbol of this acceptance.
The Wild Roses actually live in the Market. It’s their home and territory, so there are parts of the Market that are closed off to the public, and that hold the residences for the Marketeers.
Located on the very north end of the East Bank Trod, the Wild Roses Grow in a clearing surrounded by thick trees, impossibly thick thorns, and a wall that no one has ever managed to approach to say what might be on the other side.
Broad, tangled bushes of pink wild roses delimit the edges of the market proper, aided by a sparkling stream on one side, towering trees upon another and a tall, meandering fence toward the back behind which the off-limit hob village hides. The sun always shines Where the Wild Roses Grow, and so the market never closes, the grand bazaar open around the clock.
Serpentine avenues, some wide and others narrow, wind around permanent structures, ambulatory carts and make-shift stalls thrown together at a moment's notice. The availability of goods and services at any given moment depends entirely upon the whim of the marketeers who operate the various booths and businesses. Though the hobs of the Wild Roses come in a variety of shapes and sizes, they all possess an odd family resemblance in their pixie-like features, their elongated limbs and their earthy skintones.
Every path filters eventually to either the exit back out to the Woodheart Fork or the open green in the center of the grand fair. The stage in the middle of the clearing plays host to odd musical or theatrical acts, bizarre burlesque, demonstrations of goods and services and, at least once a week, a slave auction.
H18 is redirected here.
This is the pledge that everyone must pledge in order to operate in the Wild Roses. There are no exceptions.
See also PC Merchants
- Role: Matriarch, Leader, Baroness of the Lesser Ones
- About: The Lady Day is more rumor and legend than she is reality. Her presence in the market is fleeting and infrequent, and when she does pass through, she comes with a certain radiance that makes it hard to focus on anything but the awe that comes with her. Few have met her directly, fewer yet have dealt with her, and the rumors state you'll need to do something for her to so much as to get an audience, to ask for what you actually want. All the mystery is made worse by the rumor that she is, supposedly, not actually a hob, but Lost.
- Appearance: Long, lean, and radiant, she is truly the Fairest in the land. The Lady Day glows, so much so that it's hard to tell where her flesh ends and the light begins. And it is flesh (or whatever it is) that is on display, for the lady's only clothes are sheer garments that hang from her form so perfectly. She also sports ephemeral wings, with glowing fairy dust perpetually falling away from them.
- Wares: Impossibilities.
- Wants: Favors, in advance.
- Role: Security, Enforcement
- About: The River Roses grow along the banks of stream and in a perimeter around Where The Wild Roses Grow. These seemingly innocuous rose bushes are anything but, tasked with not only dealing as marketeers but also defending the market. They can speak, they can barter, and they surely can thoroughly lacerate anyone that tries to cross them with ill-intent. What they are exactly - hobs? sentient plants? something else? - remains a mystery.
- Appearance: Each rose bush is unique. Some are a mere foot high, while others climb to twice the height of a normal human. Their leaves are a wide variety of greens, and the flowers that grow range from the absolute palest of pinks to the darkest of reds.
- Wares: Death; disposal; roses; bones; perfume.
- Wants: Safety; sugar; water from far away sources.
Rose Wardens and Pink Ladies
- Role: Security, Enforcement, Merchants
- About: Helpful market security! They want well-behaved guests to feel comfortable and come back. They always wear a smile, even when dispensing justice.
- Appearance: Hobs who are, wear, paint or dye themselves the same pink as the roses. All shapes and sizes. They share the same pixie-like family resemblance with the rest of the Wild Roses.
- Wares: Information, assistance; slaves (competitors, people who broke the rules or broke deals).
- Wants: Obedience, compliance; information, power and resources which will benefit the family; favors.
- Role: Merchant, Warrior, Wise Woman
- About: Badb Catha is far too old to hear another foolish story. Whatever it is, she's heard it before, she's seen it before, and she's uninterested. That means anyone seeking to deal with her is going to have to do something to get her attention. Prepare for griping and complaining and an ill-temper.
- Appearance: Withered, bony, spindly limbs, beak-like nose, with black feathers in her wild green-white hair.
- Wares: Weapons, especially bladed; games of chance; games of skill; contracts involving games, luck, battle.
- Wants: Eyes, bones, especially knucklebones, sinew, dice, bladed weapons, sharp and shiny things.
- Role: Merchant
- About: It would be that one must lose an eye to gain an eye. Suzy Two-Eyes surely learned that. That is, at least, the story told around the Market. She sold that eye - the one is now foggy white and useless - to gain the one above it, the one that lets her see into the future. Supposedly. She is generally good-natured, and usually eager to deal. She needs someone to hear her prophecies!
- Appearance: Actually three-eyed, third eye on her forehead, but her left eye has been injured and blinded. Brown-skinned, youthful, spry.
- Wares: Secrets, information, blackmail material, incriminating evidence, memories, divinations.
- Wants: Secrets, blackmail material, evidence, memories; weird quests to satisfy her foretellings.
- Role: Merchant, Pawn Broker
- About: Functions as a pawn shop. Will purchase anything on a temporary basis. Pledges to hold items for a certain period of time before reselling. Means of gaining temporary access to contracts/goods.
- Appearance: Tall and thin with a very deep, masculine voice. Brown-skinned, round-featured. Plump cheeks. Old and possibly wise. Tall pointy hat.
- Wares: Anything and everything. Temporary access to powerful items and contracts.
- Wants: Anything and everything.
- Role: Merchant, Food Vendor
- About: Gorge is easily the most friendly of the Wild Roses, and a frequent stop of anyone visiting. Go see Gorge, trade some strange food, and you'll surely get a feel for the state of affairs at the Wild Roses. Just don't ask for too many details, because he doesn't have them.
- Appearance: Large, furry, one-toothed, brown-eyed, friendly-faced, horned, laidback, fairly clean.
- Wares: Gewgaws, trifles, occasionally hedgefruit and unusual foods.
- Wants: Fast food, junk food, beer, soda.
Prickle & Spitz
- Role: Merchants
- About: The pair - brother and sister, it's said - deal in things lost and things found. The result is a near perpetual drifting to and from reality, speaking in cryptic language, and more than occasionally, making no sense whatsoever. Simple deals with the two are easy, but things more complex, things only they could possibly have, is usually a great strain.
- Appearance: Prickle is long-nosed, long-eared, brown and spiny-backed, like a hedgehog with human limbs; Spitz is pink-skinned, blue-eyed, web-toed, tatter-winged, finned and small.
- Wares: Lost things, tokens of all sorts, trifles, component parts, random junk. Goblin contracts.
- Wants: The most valuable thing the buyer is currently carrying.
- Role: Mercenary
- About: He's the captain of the Roaming Roses, which is a mercenary band attached to the market.
- Appearance: He has a very goblinesque appearance; short, stocky and very strong
- Wares: Primarily exploration and violence. The occasional combat- or exploration-related goblin contract.
- Wants: Favors and valuable trinkets
- Role: Courtier and merchant
- About: He is a courtier in favor with Lady Day, but also sells things when the whim strikes him.
- Appearance: He is tall handsome and dark, with a roguish look to him, but he is also sadistic.
- Wares: Worn tokens and deadly adornments.
- Wants: Favors and information ONLY.
- Role: Merchant
- About: He's a hedonist, who uses that nature to benefit himself.
- Appearance: He’s a slimy looking Lost with dark hair and eyes, slender to the point of being stick thin, and claws for nails.
- Wares: Vices. Of any sort. If he can't help someone indulge themselves, he generally knows who can help.
- Wants: Memories or dreams primarily, but also favors, indentured servitude and occasionally tokens.
- Role: Doctor
- About: Snipperton isn’t a merchant in the traditional sense. Rather he’s more a back-alley surgeon. He’ll replace limbs with tokens, replace any part of the body with something else (Don’t like your eyes? Think your feet look weird? Want animalistic hands? He can do it, and is a midwife and does, on occasion, sell medical tools, gadgets and curiosities.
- Appearance: He is a short, round hob, with long spindly fingers and large eyes.
- Wares: Back alley surgery of all sorts
- Wants: He only accepts things to help with his ‘practice’. Fresh body parts, medical tools, rare fruit which can be helpful in surgery, or specimens to study or experiment on.